I first read Paul J. Meyer’s “Million Dollar Personal Success Plan” in August 1968. In 1972, I purchased a franchise for one of his companies. It was called Leadership Motivation Institute at the time. I joined the LMI Home Office staff in 1974, went on to be the president of LMI and worked with Paul J. Meyer until June of 2000 – a total of 28 years. During those 28 years, I taught Paul’s “Million Dollar Personal Success Plan” to thousands of eager listeners.
The main points were about having Goals, Plans, Desire, Confidence, and Determination. All of the points are powerful. I am devoting this Coaching Tip to his fifth point: “Develop a dogged determination to follow through on your plan, regardless of obstacles, criticism or circumstances or what other people say, think or do. Construct your Determination with Sustained Effort, Controlled Attention, and Concentrated Energy. Opportunities never come to those who wait; they are captured by those who dare to attack.”
Developing your determination will help you persevere through hardships, adversity, and other types of set-backs. In the process you will grow as a person and develop new skills that will help you accomplish even greater goals.
Here are some steps you can take to develop your determination and achieve more of your goals:
- When you catch yourself having a “pity party” or otherwise feeling sorry for yourself, replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts and take some short-range, physical action that will bust you out of your funk and start you on the path to the achievement of your goals.
- Refocus on your purpose and goals.
- Do something for someone else. This will make you feel better about yourself, help you forget your challenges temporarily, and strengthen your determination to achieve your goals.
- When you get stuck or start to get discouraged, take a break or exercise, even if it’s just doing some stretching exercises where you are. This mental and physical break can help renew your determination.
- Avoid getting sidetracked by less important things. Turn off the TV. Avoid surfing the Web. Focus your attention on your goals.
The reason water comes through the nozzle of a garden hose or fire hose with such force is because the nozzle restricts the water to one opening. You need to do the same thing when you are working on an important goal or project and stay focused on your most important priorities until you complete them.
Are you fully committed to doing what you can to make a difference in your own life and achieve the goals that are important to you? If so, use the five points listed above to help you stay on track and follow through on your plan, regardless of obstacles, criticism or circumstances or what other people say, think or do.
Construct your Determination with Sustained Effort, Controlled Attention, and Concentrated Energy.